Family Resource and Referral Center
Site Map Volunteer
For Providers
Return to Main Menu
Provider Types
Providing Subsidized Child Care
Programs Serving Providers
Provider Support Groups
Frequently Asked Questions

General Information

Child Care Food Program
Resource Center
Documents & Forms
Training & Workshops
Events Calendar
Making a Difference
Stories from Our Staff
The Power of Grandparents
FRRC - Information for Providers

Frequently Asked Questions for Providers

For Subsidized Child Care Providers


Q: When there are two parents residing in the home, do both parents need to be listed on the referral?
A: Yes


Q: Are all CalWORKS clients eligible for child care?
A: No


Q: Are guardians eligible for child care?
A: Non-needy guardians are not eligible. Adult must be receiving cash aid for themselves or be a former recipient within their 24 months of being off of cash aid.


Q: What if CalWORKs client is off of cash aid, are they still eligible for child care?
A: Yes, but they must be within 24 months of going off of cash aid.


Q: When can “back pay” be authorized? How far back can I go?
A: If client is still on cash aid, and back pay must be within 30 days. Any further back must be approved by a supervisor.


Q: Who is eligible to be a provider?
A: Not everyone can be approved to be a provider. They must attend an exempt-provider orientation and may have to pass Trustline depending on their relationship to the child.


Q:When will my payment be issued?

Attendance Records (Timesheets) received in our office via mail or drop box by  5:00 p.m. on the 5th of the month following service and completed accurately will be processed on a weekly basis. Problems with the timesheet, such as missing signatures or incorrect hours of care, may cause the payment to be delayed.  We do our best to make sure payments are issued on time, but we are dependent on funding sources that are tied to the State Budget.  Attendance Records (Timesheets) that are turned in after the 5th (fifth) will be paid at the end of the month.


Q: What do I do if my phone call is not returned?
A: Please ask to speak to a supervisor who will make sure your call is returned.


Q: Who do I contact if I do not receive a timesheet for the next month?
A: You should receive your timesheets for the next month before the first. If you do not receive one, contact your caseworker.


Q: If a client comes to me with a child care referral from H.S.A., should I allow them to begin care with me?
A: It is your choice to allow the client to begin care, but keep in mind that FRRC may not be able to reimburse you since we did not authorize the care. There are many eligibility questions that could prevent the client from receiving our services, even if they have a referral. The best choice is to verify that the client is receiving our services before allowing them to use your care. You can always call to verify that a parent has been signed up with our program and authorized for care.


Q: Why do I get voicemail when I try to call my worker?
A: FRRC caseworkers are busy meeting with clients and providers and may be away from their desk. They also may be on another phone line speaking to a client. If you reach voicemail, leave your full name, number, and clearly state why you are calling. We will call you back as soon as possible. If you do not receive a call back, please call and ask for a supervisor or manager. Our goal is to provide excellent customer service to all of our clients. We want to know if you are having trouble reaching a caseworker.


Q: What if I don’t know my caseworker's name?
A: Anyone at FRRC can give you this information.


Q: Why do I have to report changes to my worker?
A: Changes in your family size, employment, hours of care needed or change in provider may impact your eligibility. You are required to notify FRRC within 5 days of the changes. You can leave a detailed voice message with us; be sure to include a phone number where you can be reached.


Q: Is my worker the only person who can help me with my case?
A: It is preferable for you to speak with your caseworker directly, but anyone in the subsidized department can take down the information and answer any questions you may have.


<Back to Top>


For Those Interested in Becoming a Licensed Child Care Provider


Q: How do I become a Child Care Provider?
A: Click here to download our document entitled “Steps to Licensing for Family Child Care” in English and click here for Spanish.


Q: How long does the process take?
A: Approximately 90 days.


Q: Does everyone in my home need to be fingerprinted?
A: Anyone over the age of 18 that lives in your home needs to be fingerprinted, regardless if they are part of the license or not.


Q: Do I need a Business License to run a day care in my home?
A: A business license may be necessary depending on the city you reside in.


Q: Does everyone in my home need to know CPR and First Aid?
A: The licensee(s) needs 4 hours Adult, Pediatric and Infant CPR, 4 hours California Child Care First Aid, and 8 hours Preventative Health & Safety training.


Q: I rent my home.  Can my landlord stop me from providing licensed family child care?
A: No. According to the California Child Day Care Facilities Act, your landlord may not stop you from providing family child care for 6 or fewer children in a small family child care home or 12 or fewer children in a large family child care home.  If your landlord gives you consent to provide child care, you may care for 8 children in a small family child care home or 14 in a large family child care home.  You may operate a family child care home in any rental dwelling in which you reside, regardless of the type of unit (single family house, apartment, etc.)  This is true even if your lease says no business or no commercial uses.  (Required forms: Lic 9149 Property Owner/Landlord Consent FCCH or Lic 9151 Property Owner/Landlord Notification FCCH)


Q: How many children can I take care of? What ages?
A: A small family child care home is licensed for 8; however, the amount of children that can be cared for will depend on the ages of the children. If a potential provider has 1 year experience working in a child care setting, they may automatically apply for a large family child care license.


Q: How can I get an application if I don’t have access to a computer?
A: Applications can be obtained at the FRRC Office at 509 W. Weber Ave., Suite 101, Stockton, CA 95203. You may also call our office at (209) 461-2908 and request one be mailed to you.


Q: What can FRRC offer me as a licensed provider?
A: 1) WORKSHOPS: FRRC has many workshops we offer to providers free of charge that will help you enhance your child care program and assist with providing quality care. 2) REFERRALS: Once you become licensed, you can enroll in our referral program where we can assist you with finding children. Call our Referral Line at 461-2908 for more information on how this system works. 3) FRRC also has many programs that are designed to assist providers in their efforts to provide quality child care. The Child Care Initiative Project is open to newly licensed and potential child care providers. Call (209) 461-2908 to join.


Q: Can someone help me with my application and through the process?
A: Yes, our Community Resource Specialists will be more than happy to assist you through the licensing process.


<Back to Top>

Contact Us | About FRRC | Board of Directors | Affiliated Agencies | Employment | Give Us Feedback